Friday, September 24, 2010

And Then There Were 17

I am such a horrible ICLWer. I apologize for not getting back to everyone and leaving an update. It's been really crazy since my ER and I've been having a really difficult recovery this time, nothing like my first one. Thank you everyone for all your kind words and encouragement.

So my ER on Tuesday went well. They retrieved 20 eggs. And yesterday we got the Fert Report saying we had 17 embryos. I'm really really thrilled with this. I just want one good one that stays strong and healthy and makes it to transfer on Sunday. We are probably going to freeze some today (Day 3) and let another batch grow til Sunday (Day 5). They'll transfer the best 2 or 3 and then if there are still some left, freeze those as well. At this point I'm just holding my breath, I don't have anything else to go on but what happened last time. The nurse assured me at this point that they looked really good and to not worry, but it's in my nature to worry. I feel so protective already over these embryos, I just want them to live above all.

The first two days after my ER were not good. I was in so much pain, I was popping codeine/tylenol like candy and it wasn't even touching it. I had such severe cramping yesterday morning that I started throwing up. I called the nurse hotline at like 6am and she told me just to take more pain pills and call if it didn't improve. The pills finally knocked me out and the cramping subsided. On top of all that, everything I'm on right now gives me dizziness, which in turn makes me nauseous. Sweet!! I'm still bloated like nobody's business too. It's going down a little at a time, but I'm concerned that I certainly have the makings of OHSS. My RE said that they will do a scan of my ovaries and make the call then if the transfer will be cancelled. I'm feeling somewhat better today which is a good sign.

Another lovely side-effect of all the meds and the anesthesia is constipation. I hadn't had a BM since Monday until yesterday morning. I went to my Acupuncturist for one last appt before my transfer and he did some points for this and the bloating. I couldn't believe it but right when I got home from the appointment I had the best BM I think I've ever had in my life. It was so cathartic, literally. I know this is a wonderful picture I'm painting for everyone, but I figure I talk about my ovaries, vagina, uterus, and everything else why not throw in the other end too?

Anywho, my MIL is coming in tonight to help out. Unfortunately Rob's wonderful company won't allow him to take any more time off, so they've got him scheduled to work 9 days straight. FU company I can't name!!! She'll take me to my transfer on Sunday and drive me home. I'm sad Rob can't be there, but I know he's supporting me another way, financially.

As far as school is concerned, I have my committee meeting set for October 22. EEEKKKK!! That means in less than a month I may find out if I'm graduating in May instead of in May 2012. This is going to be a big day. I'm nervous about it, but I know it's in God's hands and I'll be ok no matter what. I'm really going to miss my professor and his wife, they're like family to me, especially his wife. She's our lab coordinator and basically my mom at school. They both know about my IVF and have been really supportive, but more so she has. They're going to be gone for 3 weeks to go back to China to visit their families and son who still lives there. She told me to email her the minute I get my beta results and I certainly will.

Well, I'll let you know what time my transfer will be once I get the call from the nurse's today. Love to you all!

11 comments:

  1. Wow, 17 embryos is great! Hope Sunday goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do not appologize for not posting, espcially since your recovery was so difficult this time. It is great to hear about the plan and I wish you the best of luck for the transfer! I will be praying for you!

    And I wanted to say that it sounds like you have a very special relationship with your professor and his wife. It is so wonderful to hear that you have them as local cheerleaders and supporting you all along the way. I can understand how you will miss them terribly when they leave. You have shared not only your educational journey with him, but also a personal one, as well.

    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that sounds like a rough time. I'm sorry you have been feeling so crappy. I'm glad your feeling a little better though. I hope you get great news about your embabies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 17 is phenomenal! I'm glad to hear the accupuncture seems to be working for you. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Can't wait to hear more about your transfer! And your graduation status!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 17 is wonderful! I hope you feel better soon!

    ICLW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had a great BM! haha I wrote about my laparoscopy experience and threw details about BM's in there too. Such a lovely thing to write about. ;)

    iclw

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes! It does sound like the beginning of OHSS. Take it really easy, rest heaps, drink loads of water and keep a close eye on things. I feel for you because I know EXACTLY how you feel as that is how I felt after my last retrieval. On the other hand, 17 embies is FABULOUS! Go you! Fingers crossed they cary on chugging along nicely!

    ICLW#12 (Thanks for visiting!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woo hoo 17 that is a great number!!!!

    I hope you are feeling better soon!!

    Good Luck with your transfer!

    Happy ICLW
    #100

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every single finger and toe crossed for you Melissa! Really excited this is happening for you and your fert report is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is great that you were able to get so many embryos...I hope everything goes well with your transfer!

    Happy ICLW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 17 is really good! I hope at least one of then results in a healthy baby for you! All the best for your ET and 2ww!

    ICLW # 105

    ReplyDelete